The salary page is updated, and we can estimate the Pistons’ cap room this summer. There are plenty of variables that won’t become clear until the season ends, so here a few assumptions I’m working with for now:
- The salary cap will remain the same as this season ($58,044,000)
- The Pistons renounced Jose Calderon, Corey Maggette, Jason Maxiell and Will Bynum.*
- The Pistons don’t waive Rodney Stuckey, Viacheslav Kravtsov or Kim English – none of whom have a fully guaranteed contract.
*Renouncing a player doesn’t mean the Pistons can’t re-sign him. It just means they can’t go over the cap to re-sign him. But if the Pistons don’t renounce these players, they continue to count against the cap at an amount higher than their previous salary.
Of, course I’ve omitted one key question. Will the Pistons amnesty Charlie Villanueva? I have no idea, and it makes a big difference, so I’m not including that in my assumptions. Here are the two key numbers:
- Pistons’ cap room if they amnesty Villanueva: $30,027,902
- Pistons’ cap room if they don’t amnesty Villanueva: $22,018,082
Either way, Detroit has great flexibility going forward thanks to this trade.