Piston of the Week (2/17/2013 – 2/23/2013): Jose Calderon
11.3 points, 2.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 1.3 steals while shooting 47 percent from the field and 60 percent from 3-point range.
When your best win is a six-point victory over the lowly Charlotte Bobcats, no one deserves to be the player of the week. Seriously, even the guy who got picked didn’t have that good of a week. This space should probably be reserved for the goat of the week — which, if you were wondering, would belong to Jason Maxiell and his 8-for-25 (32 percent) shooting slump — but because this is a weekly feature, we’ll have to “reward” someone.
So, without further adieu, your Piston of the Week in the team’s worst week since mid-December is Jose Calderon. Last week’s winner, Calderon did have one stinker this week (five points, three assists on Friday at Indiana), but otherwise he’s continued to be as consistent as you could hope from your starting point guard.
Calderon is the kind of point guard that good teams crave — he keeps mistakes to a minimum, he knows when to make the right play and he’s one the league’s most efficient shooters. You need that kind of consistency from the position, but that doesn’t mean it’ll automatically make everything better.
The Pistons were a respectable 4-4 with Calderon in the lineup before this weekend’s two-part baptism by the Pacers — which was the equivalent of what happened to the victims in the Saw movies. That record is only going to improve once the Pistons get Andre Drummond back in March.
This week’s games were depressing, there’s no way around that, but you’ve got to remember that this recent stretch of games has really exposed how important Drummond is to this team’s success on both offense and defense. Plus, with his return comes a pick-and-roll pairing with Calderon.
If Will Bynum made a living working that with Drummond, there’s no reason to believe that wouldn’t be even better with Calderon in his place.
- 2/10/2013 – 2/16/2013: Jose Calderon
- 2/3/2013 – 2/9/2013: Greg Monroe
- 1/27/2013 – 2/2/2013: Brandon Knight
- 1/20/2013 – 1/26/2013: Greg Monroe
- 1/13/2013 – 1/19/2013: Andre Drummond
- 1/6/2013 – 1/12/2013: Greg Monroe
- 12/30/2012 – 1/5/2013: Austin Daye
- 12/23/2012 – 12/29/2012: Will Bynum
- 12/17/2012 – 12/22/2012: Greg Monroe
- 12/10/2012 – 12/15/2012: Rodney Stuckey
- 12/3/2012 – 12/8/2012: Rodney Stuckey
- 11/26/2012 – 12/1/2012: Brandon Knight
- 11/21/2012 – 11/25/2012: Greg Monroe
- 11/12/2012 – 11/18/2012: Kyle Singler
- 11/6/2012 – 11/10/2012: Greg Monroe
- 10/31/2012 – 11/4/2012: Greg Monroe