Piston of the Week (2/24/2013 – 3/2/2013): Greg Monroe
19.3 points, 9.7 rebounds, 3 assists and 2.3 steals while shooting 58 percent from the field.
There’s not a lot to say about Greg Monroe at this point. He’s by far the Pistons’ best overall player and outside Jose Calderon and occasionally Brandon Knight, he’s playing on a team devoid of consistent, quality talent on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.
Maybe his biggest strength throughout a second straight exhaustingly disappointing season has been his consistency. He’s always solid, if not spectacular. He does have those nights where he wows you — though, they’re quiet, still — and others where he puts together a workman-like effort that goes relatively unnoticed.
Part of the reason those wows are quiet and workman-like nights go unnoticed is because, more often than not, they’re coming in losses. That’s not a Greg Monroe problem; it’s a Detroit Pistons problem. There are a lot of good things about his game, but there are definitely some things — specifically, defending the post and rotating on defense — that he struggles with and needs to improve on.
The Pistons played three horrible games this week, and the only guy you could count on in those three games to make an impact was Monroe. He had his struggles defensively against Al Horford and the Hawks, but he’s the only constant that this team has given Calderon’s sieve-like tendencies on defense.
Being the only constant makes you an easy target, something I’m sure Monroe has found to be true in his three seasons in Detroit. The team hasn’t been successful, which obviously the overriding goal, but he has been — that’s worth something. Maybe he’s not a future star, the big cheese on a title contender, but maybe he doesn’t have to be that guy.
All of that is yet to be seen, but in the meantime, even through all of the blown leads and blow outs, the Pistons at least have one constant to fall back on in Monroe.
That’s something, isn’t it?
- 2/16/2013 – 2/23/2013: Jose Calderon
- 2/10/2013 – 2/16/2013: Jose Calderon
- 2/3/2013 – 2/9/2013: Greg Monroe
- 1/27/2013 – 2/2/2013: Brandon Knight
- 1/20/2013 – 1/26/2013: Greg Monroe
- 1/13/2013 – 1/19/2013: Andre Drummond
- 1/6/2013 – 1/12/2013: Greg Monroe
- 12/30/2012 – 1/5/2013: Austin Daye
- 12/23/2012 – 12/29/2012: Will Bynum
- 12/17/2012 – 12/22/2012: Greg Monroe
- 12/10/2012 – 12/15/2012: Rodney Stuckey
- 12/3/2012 – 12/8/2012: Rodney Stuckey
- 11/26/2012 – 12/1/2012: Brandon Knight
- 11/21/2012 – 11/25/2012: Greg Monroe
- 11/12/2012 – 11/18/2012: Kyle Singler
- 11/6/2012 – 11/10/2012: Greg Monroe
- 10/31/2012 – 11/4/2012: Greg Monroe