The July 1st deadline for teams to decide if they want to put a bid in for Pistons restricted free agent center Greg Monroe is fastly approaching and despite the NBA Draft being a top priority, putting together a game plan for Greg Monroe’s pending free agency has been the number one priority for Stan Van Gundy.
That’s according to Pistons.com’s Keith Langlois.
SVG says even with time spent on FA & draft, well more than 50% of his time has been devoted to Greg Monroe’s situation.
— Keith Langlois (@Keith_Langlois) June 24, 2014
Stan Van Gundy had a lengthy with the media earlier this afternoon and focused on Greg Monroe’s current situation. As a restricted free agent, the Pistons have the right to match any deal offered by other teams in the league. The so-called plan for Monroe is rather simple according to Fox 2’s Jennifer Hammond.
Van Gundy says “I think Greg Monroe is a very good, young big guy.” Says they either want him back or want “good value” for him.
— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) June 24, 2014
According to Hammond, the Pistons also met yesterday to discuss who they’d like to target in free agency starting July 1st.
The Pistons will have roughly 13.5 million dollars in cap space available. While forward Jonas Jerebko plans to exercise his player option, there has been no word on whether the Pistons will decline point guard Chauncey Billup’s 2.5 million dollar contract for next season.
Keeping Monroe at all costs is a good move, simply because he’s a solid number two asset for the organization. He and Andre Drummond make one of the most talented frontcourts in the NBA.
The question now will focus on what the Pistons do with Josh Smith. Will he be a sixth man off the bench? Or will some organization be willing to take a chance on Smith to get them over the hump.
If I were Van Gundy and Pistons owner Tom Gores, I’d be willing to give Monroe the max contract, no matter what his future is in Detroit.