Well, I’ve covered the NBA since the days when Jack Ramsay was roaming the Blazer sidelines in paisley pants. And I don’t think since that time I’ve seen a coach as poorly informed, as casual about his duties and as lazy as Cheeks. NBA head coach? He should have been charged with identity theft. This is a guy who… :
- … sometimes within an hour of game time couldn’t tell you the starting lineup of the team he’d be facing on a given night.
- … after a game one night famously (I used to play the tape of this on my radio show) needed prompting to understand how standings worked — you know that complicated thing where if two teams have the same number of wins but one team has fewer losses? Yeah, there was a problem with that.
- … didn’t listen to assistant coaches who knew way more about the game than he did.
- … spent a large portion of the game yukking it up with fans behind the bench rather than paying attention to the game.
- … got outcoached on a nightly basis, especially at the defensive end.
Tags: Maurice Cheeks